Recipe by The Devilled Egg | Online Cookery School.
- 12 button mushrooms (medium size).
- 200g ricotta cheese.
- 1 tablespoon of finely chopped chives.
- 1 tablespoon of finely chopped parsley.
- 1 finely minced garlic clove.
- ¼ teaspoon of salt.
- 1 teaspoon of grated Parmesan.
- Large pinch of chilli powder.
For the batter:
- 100g self-raising flour.
- 2 tablespoons of corn flour.
- 150ml strong dark lager.
- Rapeseed Oil for deep frying.
- Remove the mushroom stems (these would make a great addition to stock).
- Combine the filling ingredients.
- Stuff the mushrooms and refrigerate.
- Preheat the Rapeseed Oil in a saucepan or deep fat fryer to 180C.
- Combine the batter ingredients – you are looking for a lightly whipped cream consistency (add more beer if necessary).
- Coat the mushrooms carefully in the batter and lower onto the hot oil. Fry no more than 4-5 at a time.
- They will take 5-6 minutes to cook.
- Lift them out with a slotted spoon and place on a sheet of kitchen paper to soak up any excess oil.
- Sprinkle with salt and serve.
Best served with our Classic Mayonnaise or our surprisingly punchy Garlic Mayonnaise.