Recipe by The Devilled Egg | Online Cookery School.
The spice mix (this will create a small spice jar full of punchy peppery mix):
- 1 tablespoon of pink pepper
- 1/2 tablespoon of Sichuan pepper
- 1 teaspoon of chipotle chilli
- 1/2 teaspoon of dried basil
- 2 tablespoons of flaked salt
For the dipping sauce:
- 4 tablespoons of fish sauce
- 6 tablespoons of soy sauce
- Juice from 1/2 lime
- 1 teaspoon of coconut sugar
- 1 teaspoon of Fussels Chilli oil
For the prawns:
- 20 raw prawns
- 2 tablespoons of the peppery spice mix (above)
- 1 tablespoon of corn flour or potato starch
- Fussels extra virgin rapeseed oil for frying
The Spice Mix:
Blend or grind all of the ingredients and keep in a dark, cool place for up to three months.
The Dipping Sauce:
Combine the ingredients and stir until the sugar has dissolved.
Preparing the Prawns:
Preheat 3-4cm of rapeseed oil in a pan for shallow frying to 200C.
Cut the prawn along the back and remove the intestinal tract (this will also create an attractive shape after frying).
Combine the flour with the spice mix.
Dip the prawns in the mix and fry for 2-3 minutes until crispy and cooked through (depending on their size).
Remove them from the oil with a slotted spoon and leave to drip dry on a piece of kitchen paper.
Serve immediately with the dipping sauce.